The health insurance marketplace is a place to help you find the right coverage for you and your family, and the financial help to pay for it. Tribes can buy health insurance for their community members.
How the Health Insurance Marketplace will work for you:
Even if you receive services from your IHS, Tribal or Urban Indian Healthcare Facility, the federal health insurance marketplace can work for you.
- Health insurance helps cover the costs you pay for services received outside of your IHS, Tribal or Urban Indian Healthcare Facility; things like a hospital stay or specialty care
- One-stop shopping to compare and enroll in plans from private insurance companies and public programs such as Adult or Children’s Medicaid, and/or NC Health Choice
- Clear descriptions of all plans with side-by-side comparisons so you can choose the one that is best for you
- Quality coverage, including doctor visits, hospital stays, maternity care, mental health services, emergency room care, prescriptions, dental care, and more
- Enrolling in a plan through the Marketplace gives you more choices of doctors and clinics for your health care.
If you are an American Indian or qualify to use Indian Health Services (HIS) or Tribal Health Services, you can expect:
- Consistent care. You can continue to get care from your IHS, Tribal or Urban Indian Healthcare Facility.
- No cost-sharing. You do not have to pay for any service you receive from an IHS, Tribal or Urban Indian Healthcare Facility. Also, you may qualify for cost-sharing at any doctor or provider if you meet certain income requirements.
In addition, American Indians are:
- entitled to change health plans once a month, if you want to do so
- exempt from the federal mandate requiring all individuals to purchase health insurance
- exempt from federal tax penalties for not having coverage